Birth control (also known as contraception) is mostly utilized for many reasons. It is mostly used to put a stop to unintended pregnancies. Even so, it is also directed for treating pain from periods and for the definite health issues of endometriosis and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It can also assist in preventing acne.
Fortunately, if you want birth control due to certain reasons, then there are many types that you can select. The two leading classifications of birth control procedures are hormonal and non-hormonal procedures. In the hormonal procedure, two sex hormones, estrogen and progestin, are used by merging them, or just progestin is used.
In hormonal birth control, one of the major issues is weight gain. Most women stop taking birth control pills, and the major cause is weight gain. Nevertheless, early studies confirmed that birth control pills (contraceptives) do not cause weight gain.
This article will discuss does birth control make you gain weight and the reasons for weight gain after taking them.
Read More: What Is Wet Nursing? | 2023 Guide
What Is Birth Control?
As its name shows, ‘birth control’ is the most used procedure to prevent pregnancy. Pregnancy is avoided with the assistance of:
- OTC (over-the-counter) options
- Lifestyle methods
Prescription Birth Control Options Are:
- Combined oral contraceptives (COCs) like Yaz or (drospirenone/Ethinyl estradiol) and (norgestimate/Ethinyl estradiol)
- Progestin-only oral contraceptives (POCs) like Errin
- Vaginal rings like Nuvaring (etonogestrel/Ethinyl estradiol) and Annovera (progesterone acetate/Ethinyl estradiol)
- Skin patches like Xulane (norelgestromin/Ethinyl estradiol) and Twirla(levonorgestrel/Ethinyl estradiol)
- Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) injection
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs) like Mirena (levonorgestrel) and Paragard (the copper IUD)
- Nexplanon (etonogestrel) arm implant
- Phexxi vaginal gel
Over-The-Counter Options Are:
- Male condoms
The Lifestyle Method Is:
Don’t forget that all contraceptives do not give their 100% result to avoid unintended pregnancies. Most procedures are not 100% protected against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like Chlamydia or HIV. Condoms are the only form of birth control but also protect against STIs.
What Are The Causes Of Weight Gain?
If you observe that you are gaining weight but don’t know the reason. Then the cause may be one of the mentioned below:
a. Routine Changing:
- If you start a new job or change your job, you will start to observe a little bit of an increase in your weight. Sitting for large segments of the day will result in weight gain and other adverse effects.
b. Diet Changing:
- If you are taking food over your normal routine, your calories will increase, and it may cause a gain in your weight.
- Daily, you should check the number of calories by using a food tracking app. It will assist you in keeping up your current weight or losing some weight if you want to.
c. Alteration In Metabolism:
- Your metabolism changes depending on your age. Metabolic changes can affect your energy level and increase your weight. With the increase in age, your metabolism can take a drop. Your body will lose the ability to burn calories naturally. Without it, you will observe an increase in your weight.
- Demand your doctor to direct a physical assessment and metabolic blood work. It can detect the health issues affecting your body’s calories burning ability.
d. Changes At Gym:
- If you are performing more weight-lifting or muscle-building exercises. Your muscle mass also increases, and you can observe it on a scale. You may observe the same size quietly. Your clothes size may be the same or fit. But, the numbers on the scale may increase. The reason is muscle building at the gym.
Probability Of Gaining Weight:
Knowledge doesn’t display that any specific category tends to face an increase in weight than any other category. When you start taking the pills, your weight doesn’t affect your probability.
A trusted study source discovers that obese girls below 18 years have no more chance of weight gain while using the pills.
Does Birth Control Make You Gain Weight?
Nevertheless, some specialists consider truthfully that weight gain is the adverse effect of the pills. But it is not clear yet that the pills lead to an increase in weight.
Birth control pills can be taken in two ways:
Some studies indicate that in some consumers, birth control pills and the increase in weight have some interconnection. According to a study in 2020, it was shown that combined pills increase body fat. In the people using it, it gives rise to body fat and decreases the muscles and the non-fat tissues. But the other studies don’t indicate any important connection between weight gain (in obese or non-obese women) and hormonal birth control.
After the combined research, the results show that contraceptives have very less effect on weight. At mini-pills, it is normally about 4 to 5 pounds. But it is still not well-defined whether the pills or other factors lead to weight gain. Alteration in weight can also depend on the companies of pills. Different pills have different hormone doses.
While using combined pills, some users complain about an increased weight of about 4 pounds. On the other hand, some users say about no weight changes.
According to specialists, weight increases with the use of pills due to some factors:
Most females start to take hormonal birth control pills at young or adolescent age. So, it is normal to gain weight along with your body’s forming and increasing age.
Excess stress can increase the probability of an increase in weight. Contraceptives can result in stress if teenagers, school-going, or young adults start to take them. Birth control pills can also cause stress to people in new relationships.
c. Effect Of Hormones On Appetite:
Taking progestin might affect your appetite. The rise in progesterone levels activates the occurrence of emotional overeating. You may eat excessive carbohydrates, salts, or fats-containing food during emotional overeating.
d. Excess Of Water In The Body:
In some early months, contraceptives user can observe an adverse effect: edema. Fluid is not removed from the tissues. It may increase the weight of the user.
However, hormonal-related birth control has negative effects on weight. But with time, oral contraceptives are altered. In 1950, contraceptives contained high potency. They contain three times more estrogen and progestin as compared to the present-time pills. But nowadays, contraceptives contain only a little of the initial doses of hormones, due to which the chance of adverse effects decreases.
Types Of Birth Control Related To Weight Gain
However, oral contraceptives are not a significant reason for long-term weight gain. But some other birth control procedures may involve it. Here, we will discuss the following:
a. Birth Control Shot:
- The birth control shot consists of medroxyprogesterone acetate. Medroxyprogesterone acetate is a type of progestin hormone. It is used to put a stop to pregnancy. It is provided through injection in the arm. It is injected after every three months.
- Its well-known adverse effect is weight gain. Depo-Provera, also known as DMPA, is an injection of the ordinary sort and is used in birth control shots. It results in a weight increase. Almost 3 to 4 pounds of weight is gained annually, and nearly 14 to 18 pounds in 10 years. Depo-Provera injection also results in an increase in fat in the body.
b. Iuds (Intrauterine Devices) Or Implants:
- IUDs are small devices placed in the uterus while birth control implants are departed in the arms. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) and birth control implants both are long-acting reversible contraceptives. They are easy to use for many years. They help stop the pregnancy for years and then cease working after removal.
Procedures That Cause Less Or Average Weight Gain:
a. Hormonal IUDs:
These IUDs deliver progestin. The results in a nearly 1.5 kg increase in weight in one year. And about a 9 kg increase in weight in 10 years.
b. Non-hormonal IUDs:
These IUDs deliver copper. They use copper to cease pregnancy. So they are also called copper IUDs. The results showed 0.5 kg weight gain in one year and almost 5 kg in 10 years.
c. Birth Control Implants:
This implement contains progestin. Earlier studies prove this implant causes more weight gain than non-hormonal birth control methods.
How Do Contraceptives Cause An Increase In Weight?
In some cases, contraceptives cause an increase in weight. Now, we will discuss how they result from an increase in weight.
In some females, birth control pills increase weight. Because birth control pills can cause:
- Fluid retention
- Belly swelling
- Hormonal increase in appetite
- Pregnancy-like condition due to hormones
After the use of contraceptive pills, the increase in weight is not significant. It would be less or moderate.
The slightest increase in weight is normally short-term. It generally departed in two to three months.
Can Contraceptive Pills Cause Depression?
- Most people do not complain about any alteration in their mood during a hormonal birth control procedure. Hormonal birth control does not result in or magnify the mess in the mood like anxiety and depression.
- If you have any mood disorder, then discuss with your physician about your mood disorder history.
- Hormonal birth control (just progestin) can cause adverse effects on your behavior. Like:
- Oral contraceptives
- Long-acting reversible contraceptives
- If you observe any change in your behaviors, you should consult with your provider. If it is either suicidal or homicidal, you should take help from emergency care on the spot. Call suicidal and crisis lifeline at 988.
How To Take Contraceptives?
To take birth control pills, you should know that there are two types of pills. That is:
- Normal pills:
- You should take one pill daily.
- Take it at the same time.
- Take daily until the box is finished.
- Then pause for 4 to 7 days.
- Start a new box after the pause.
- Consult your physician about the pill you are using. Then the pause period may vary
- Continuous use of pills:
- Take one pill daily.
- Take it at the same time.
- No need to take any pause.
- Use one box and another box without any gap continuously.
What Are The Edges Of Contraceptives?
Birth control pills also have some advantages.
They reduce the:
- Days of menstrual period
- Quantity of bleeding
- Disturbance during the menstrual phase, like breast pain, etc.
- Acne or pimples
- Hairs’ thickness
- Risk of ovarian cancer
- Infection of the womb or ovaries
- Cysts in ovaries and breasts
- Contraceptives regulate your menstrual cycle.
In some cases, contraceptives are not suggested or contraindicated. These are mentioned below:
- Absolute Contraindications:
Women suffering with:
- Inflammation in veins walls
- Pulmonary embolism
- Heart disorder
- Stroke or thrombosis
- Valvulopathies (formation of a clot in the venous system)
- Uterine or breast cancer
- Any hormonal disorder
- Headaches like migraine or meningitis
- Cigarette smoker women
- 35 or above-aged women
- Relative Contraindications:
Women suffering from:
- Severe breast cancer
- Uterine fibroids
- Varicose veins
- Severe migraine
- Before using contraceptives, you should have to consult with your physician. The reason is that some medications change the potency of birth control pills.
Indications For Contraceptives:
You can take birth control pills in some cases like:
- Slight hypertension
Do Contraceptives Have An Impact On Behavior Or Fertility?
The contraceptives do not result in infertility or any alteration in behaviors. Your ability to conceive remains the same. Even when you stop to take contraceptives, you can conceive instantly.
Precautions About The Side Effects:
Initially, share with your physician what you want to get or what you want to miss. If you have any adverse effect of a method, then you can change the procedure. You are not stuck to any one method. If you are not contented, you can attempt another procedure. That would be more successful.
If you are not agreed with the hormonal method, then you can alter it with the non-hormonal method.
If any question arises about your health, you can consult with any gynecologist or midwife nurse. Midwife nurses shrsingould be degree holders, verified, trained, experienced, and guaranteed by a midwifery education program.
- Midwife nurses can guide you properly during menopause in young adulthood. They can provide you with the following:
- Contraception or birth control
- Preconception care
- Care during pregnancy
- Postpartum care
Suggestions To Maintain Your Weight While Using Contraceptives:
- If your weight is increasing due to an alteration in metabolism, consider decreasing your daily calories. Calories are not reduced by only taking less quantity of food. But also some ways that are given below:
- Eat less fat-containing food.
- Don’t use carbohydrates in excess.
- Eat fewer sugar-containing items.
- You should have to take healthy food.
- Neglect calories-containing juices and soda.
- If you want sweetness and crunch, you can use fruits and vegetables to fulfill your desire. They both consist of lesser calories as compared to snacks and sweets.
- Capsaicinoid is a compound that can assist in the loss of weight. It is present in hot peppers.
- Greek yogurt and oats are also good for promoting weight loss because they don’t contain sugar, carbohydrates, etc.
- Use chicken or fish instead of red meat.
- Microwave popcorns are also better for you. But if popcorns are butter coated, it’s not better.
- Distilled green tea is the best way to promote weight loss. Because it increases the metabolism of your body. According to research, it is beneficial to lose weight.
- It is also necessary to the thought that when you take food. Some people recommend that exercise is effective when you perform it just before breakfast. But it is also notable that what you eat for breakfast. If you are taking carbohydrate or fat-containing food, then your exercise can’t assist you in maintaining your body weight. For example, if you are eating high-fat-containing food, then it can destroy your attempts at weight loss through exercise.
- Generally, if you are hungry, then you should have to eat. But if those are emotional cravings, you should avoid them. Don’t avoid it too much that you climb down into emotional cravings.
- Always try to stay hydrated. Most people are confused between thirst and hunger. So, whenever they needed to drink, they started to eat instead of drinking.
- Get enough sleep. It will help to maintain your metabolism. If you are taking the rest the whole night, it will maintain your metabolic rate. Not getting enough sleep, can slow down your metabolism. In addition, if you are not getting eight hours properly, you can plan a healthy diet or any effective exercise to maintain your body weight.
Don’t Be Malnourished For Weight Loss:
- Excessive dieting and constricting calories can lead you to binge on unhealthy foods later. On the other hand, you want food to be healthy. So, if you are not getting healthy food according to your body’s requirements, it will lead to dizziness and weakness. Your brain would not be able to understand, certainly. It may be blowing unreasonably or illogical. But less eating can lead to a slowdown of the rate of metabolism. It may be why dieters again get an increase in their weight.
- If you are not getting food by following your needs, then you become unwell. In ancient times, sea rovers and yachters get sick from Moeller’s disease due to vitamin c deficiency. Other disorders due to the minus amount of nutrition:
- Bone loss
- Decreased thyroid function
- If you are not eating healthy food, your teeth may also degrade.
- You have to eat properly, according to your body’s requirements. Then, you will feel and look better.
Must Perform The Exercise:
- To lose body weight, exercise is so compulsory. For example, walking, jogging, running, and cycling. Running is the best way to reduce fat. It increases fat burning. If your heartbeat is faster while your movement then it is good. If you are not used to the daily exercise, you can start it with a brisk walk. The Centre highly recommends for Disease Control that walking 30 minutes daily and moderate intensity exercise 5 days a week will always improve your body’s health.
Re-Examination Of Your Birth Control
- If you are not satisfied with the procedure of birth control you are following. You can change it. For example, if you are gaining weight with oral contraceptives but you want to maintain your weight then you can use another method of birth control. If that procedure has side effects, then you can alter the procedure without wasting time. It would be best if you consulted with your physician about method changing.
- Any divergence in contraception may result in undesired pregnancy. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, you may interconnect your old and recent pregnancies to ensure contraception. Their sites can also assist you in the alteration of a method of contraception.
Options To Examine If The Weight Gain Is The Problem:
- If you agree to change the birth control procedure, many oral contraceptives, vaginal rings, patches, or intrauterine hormonal devices (IUDs) have fewer chances of increasing your body weight. Copper IUDs do not consist of hormones. So, they do not increase your weight.
- Ancient-time spermicides have some side effects:
- They degrade your sperms
- They can cause HIV and STIs
- They can cause damage to your sensitive vaginal tissues
- But some options are better than these spermicides. They are discussed below:
a. Vaginal Gels:
Phexxi, a new vaginal gel, is a good option for birth control. Phexxi decreases the pH of the vagina and hardens the vagina. By which the sperm can’t pass through the cervix. It leads to the infertility of your egg.
But every option has some side effects. So, it is better to consult your physician after taking any step of the options mentioned earlier for contraception.
You can also use condoms for contraception. There are two types of condoms:
- External condoms: They are used by males.
- Internal condoms: They are vaginal condoms used by females.
Condoms are non-allergic. They are very suitable if you and your partner have any allergies. Female condoms are better than male condoms because male condoms are not fit properly. However, female condoms also provide better protection from STIs or any skin contact disease as compared to male condoms because it occupies your vulva.
c. Permanent Contraception:
If you don’t want children in your life, you can follow permanent birth control methods. These are:
- Tubal ligation and vasectomy are both reversible. But, sterilization surgery is irreversible. In addition, sterilization is not protected against STIs. So, after the surgery, condoms use is also compulsory.
- It is very important to consult with your physician about the side effects and effects of the methods of contraception like STIs or undesired pregnancies etc.
The Facts And Figures:
Contraception may lead to an increase in weight. It may be harder to lose weight. But you desire a well-grounded procedure to put a stop to pregnancy. Even if your weight increases, it is due to the method of contraception you use. Research proves there are more chances of weight gain by using shots and implants than other hormonal birth control procedures. First, decide whether birth control is suitable for you or not. If you observe any difference, you should have to propel some physical training sessions to maintain your weight. Apart from that, to observe whether it is working, you must review a procedure change.
Contraception Procedures That Do Not Affect Body Weight:
If you do not desire an increase in your weight by contraception, then you should choose non-hormonal birth control methods.
If you want a durable method of birth control, then the best option is a copper IUD. Its duration is about 10 years. The copper in copper IUDs assists to put a stop to pregnancy.
If you want birth control for a short duration, then according to Sutton, you should have to select the methods of protection that stops the sperms from reaching the eggs.
The protection methods are:
But, it is also noticeable that these methods are less effective than all types of birth control methods.
All the above methods are non-hormonal methods that do not affect your weight. You have no risk of an increase or decrease in your weight.
Birth control has various impacts on the life of every single person. Making decisions based on hearsay stories from friends and relatives could be interesting. To a large extent, it is extensively accepted that hormonal birth control does not affect weight. But, also, it is possible in the birth control shot.
Why Do Birth Control Tablets Increase Weight?
As we know, all hormones are interconnected to each other. All hormones depend on the other hormones in your body. So, we can’t examine just one hormone separately, especially in hormonal imbalances. An excessive dose of any hormone may alter your pre-existing hormonal imbalance. Then, you have to face more signs. You can observe that the list of symptoms is all about you. For example, the estrogen in birth control pills can lead to weight gain. Here, we will especially talk about the problems faced by some people due to excessive estrogen in contraceptives.
a. Estrogen Supremacy:
- If a female is already estrogen dominant, the pill can make her even more. But it is due to some reasons:
- At first, the estrogen-containing pill stops the ovulation which may lead to averting a pregnancy. Due to this, the women can’t generate the usual progesterone from the corpus luteum. It is formed after the release of the egg. The adrenals produce some progesterone. But it depends on the adrenal state. Due to the adrenal backup plan, she would cope more unsatisfactory than others. The progesterone-containing pills cause less weight gain.
- If a female becomes paramount to estrogen, the progesterone is para-mounted by estrogen. In this situation, she suffers the loss of the balancing effect of progesterone in opposition to cortisol. Cortisol is the stress hormone. So, in this condition, the fast storage will expand, especially in the middle region of the body, such as the belly, stomach, tummy, etc.
- If a woman has more body fat, then she has a higher estrogen level because the body produces more estrogen in the fat tissues. It is due to aromatization. Aromatization is a process in which testosterone is transformed into estrogen. Instantly, it results in the critical hormonal balance for fat loss. Where the testosterone is in a lesser amount, the estrogen is more. This process has occurred in blood sugar problems. The insulin stimulates the sudden increase of aromatase enzyme.
b. Effects On Thyroids:
- There is a complex interaction between estrogen, progesterone, and the thyroid. After taking pills, a female becomes estrogen para-mounted, lowering the progesterone level. It also affects thyroids:
- As the thyroid peroxidase enzyme (TPO) is increased by progesterone. TPO produces the thyroid hormone. The deficiency and shortfall of thyroid hormone result in hypothyroidism. Progesterone-containing pills hypothetically minimize the effects. But the manufactured progestin doesn’t act as natural progesterone in our body tissues.
- The thyroid-binding proteins are increased by estrogen. These carrier proteins commute around the thyroid hormones, carry them to their chosen landing place and drop them off. If the excessive thyroid protein is bounded by thyroid protein, insufficient protein is left for functioning. It shows the less freed T3, less freed T3 uptake, and less free T4. In essence, a higher level of estrogen leads to hypothyroidism due to the deficiency of the free and active hormone.
- If a woman has a deficiency of T3, it is not important to cease using pills. Because there is a little bit of deficiency of free T3 due to the oral method of birth control. But if the level of thyroid hormone is outstanding, then it can’t lead to hypothyroidism and the symptoms of hypothyroidism:
- Increase in weight.
- Nevertheless, if the thyroid hormone level is previously at the end line or very low, then the contraceptive pills lower your thyroid hormone level to the extent and lead to the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
c. Excess Of Appetite And Cravings:
- It is one of the reasons for weight gain. The use of excessive calories may lead to weight gain. The complex interaction between estrogen, progesterone, leptin, ghrelin, and neuropeptide results in excessive hunger and craving. Hormones in females can also affect GABA and serotonin. These neurotransmitters stimulate hunger. So, it is usual:
- To eat in excess
- To face a tough time in satisfying yourself
- An alteration in desires
- Eating more sweets and starches
d. Deficiency Of Nutrients:
- Multivitamins are an everyday need of the body. The contraceptives lead to nutrient deficiencies of:
- Folic acid
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin E
- Most people suffer from a deficiency of important and premium minerals and multivitamins. Nevertheless, pre-existing deficiency of nutrients causes Gut issues that affect absorption, and women suffer from hormonal clearance through the liver. The females also suffer from the symptoms of nutrients deficiency that are mentioned below:
- Poor skin healing
- Lack of appetite may also lead to nutrient deficiency.
e. Microbe Effects On The Gut:
- We need to understand the impacts of microbiome and gut bacteria on our body’s health and our hormones. But, we do not recognize until now that these impacts are increasing for the time being.
- But, now, with the advanced studies about the interconnection of estrogen and guts bacteria, we understand many things about it.
- It has come into view that estrogens produce changes in gut bacteria. When you consult any serviceable medical consultant, he will guide you that all the females using estrogen are facing an imbalance in guts bacteria. Near me, it is not essentially proven that estrogen causes any disorder directly. The thyroid hormone is essential for gut health, so it is also due to hypothyroidism. Gut bacteria imbalance may be due to any reason which has not been understood until now.
- As we know, oral estrogen interconnects with Crohn’s disease. Crohn’s disease is an autoimmune inflammatory bowel disorder.
- As in pre-menopausal females, oral estrogens increase the chances of Crohn’s disease. Estrogen also appears to impact the lining of the intestine (gut barrier). But it seems that it is due to the development of intestinal hyperpermeability and the inflammation of the intestine. Maybe, it is due to the estrogen receptors of the Gut or any disorder of gut flora, or maybe it is due to the activation of autoimmunity by estrogen.
- It is also known that gut bacteria play a role in metabolizing hormones, also estrogen. So, females with pre-existing gut imbalances may face more problems in preventing excessive estrogen. It can result in more estrogen dominance or side effects due to the estrogen pills. Or as mentioned above, it may cause inflammation of the intestine.
- It is well-known that estrogen paramount can cause weight gain. But we also know that a healthy intestine is essential for health and weight loss. According to research, if our gut bacteria are lesser or unhealthy, then, for the time being, we may face inflammation, insulin resistance, and an increase in weight.
- I read it somewhere: “the pill destroys your gut bacteria, just like antibiotics.” But, it is wrong. The research does not show that wiping the flora, like antibiotics, clears everything. It may have complex interactions with thyroid hormone, a female’s genetic tendency to autoimmunity and inflammation, and the health of her gut bacteria.
We have to remember that, when it comes to hormones, it’s rarely so straightforward.
- Gut inflammation or imbalance may lead to acne and changes in hormones. A woman with weight gains due to pills and suffering from the symptoms on the pills wants to clear out her skin, get control of her PMS and want her period more regularly.
- Beginning the use of pills, going through perimenopause, or pregnancy may increase estrogen. Excessive estrogen triggers autoimmune flares in thyroids.
- An increase in estrogen may lead to the fall down of the stimulation if the woman tends to autoimmunity. Before starting the pills, it is essential to examine the woman’s family history. If she had Hashimoto’s disease, it is important to consider that pills can trigger a flare.
- Flare is the entire time happening. My initial goal is to lessen the frequency of flare and tissue damage. It can lead a woman to hypothyroidism and also affects weight loosening. After starting the pill, most women need to boost the thyroid hormone.
- It does not happen with every woman. But we are sure that it happens in some women that estrogen-containing pills lead to weight gain.
Does Birth Control Make Your Weight Gain Conclusion?
Does birth control make you gain weight is a common question. Contraception is widely used to get rid of undesired pregnancies. Contraceptives may be oral (in the form of pills) or in the form of IUDs. The two methods of birth control are hormonal and non-hormonal birth control. In some women, the hormonal method may increase weight due to hormonal changes or fluid retention. But it can be overcome by dieting or proper exercise. Short-term birth control is due to condoms or spermicides, and long-term birth control is due to copper IUDs. It takes about 10 years.
Does Birth Control Make Your Weight Gain? FAQ:
1. Do Birth Control Tablets Cause Weight Gain Or Not?
Infrequently, some females get a slight increase in their weight while using birth control pills. But, it is not permanent. It is due to fluid retention or hormonal changes. According to the research-based evidence, birth control pills do not increase most women’s weight.
2. Why The Contraception Leads You To Weight Gain?
The initial weight gain may be during the first week or first month of birth control. It is usual, and the reason is fluid retention. It is not due to fats. According to research, in 6 to 12 months, the users gain less than 4 to 4.5 pounds weight with mini-pills.
3. Is It Difficult To Lose Weight During Contraception?
It is harder to lose weight during hormonal birth control. But it could be possible by altering the method of birth control such as hormonal to non-hormonal method or by taking regular exercises and dieting.
4. Can Contraception Alter Your Body Shape?
In some women, birth control pills lead to weight gain. It could alter the body shape and structure. But this is due to three reasons:
- Muscular changes
- Fat deposition
- Fluid retention
5. What Are The Side Effects Of Birth Control?
The side effects of birth control are:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Breasts enlargement
- Cessation of periods (amenorrhea)
- Increase in weight
- Mood swings
- Spotting or bleeding
- Decrease in sex desires
6. Why The Birth Control Make Your Weight Gain?
In ancient times, birth control pills consisted of higher hormones that may cause weight gain. But, nowadays, the pills contain a lower level of estrogen hormone—the excess estrogen results in fluid retention. So, the combined pills cause weight gain because they have a higher estrogen level.
7. Which Contraceptives Results In Less Weight Gain?
The vaginal gel, vaginal rings, and condoms do not result in weight gain. Also, the patches and hormonal IUDs do not cause an increase in weight.